Almond pecan bites and dashing through the snow my kitchen… Mmmhhh, mmhhhh, mmmhhhh, mmmhhhh all the way, Oh what fun it is to ride, in a one horse open sleigh, mmhhhh, mhhhhhh, mmhhhh, mmmmhhhh……………………. For the ones who are wondering, yes, I´m in a christmas mood. My christmas mania always starts with a lot of different christmas cookies and a million of cookbooks, to find the one and only recipe.
Also this time. Today I sweeped across my kitchen like a tornado, leaving flour marks behind. After I finished my cookie mission, almost everything in my kitchen had a tiny little flour coat on top. But I didn´t failed and I brought back, some incredible, delicious almond pecan bites.
It takes a lot of work and time to roll out the thin layers of dough, but the taste let you forget everything. The marzipan layer makes them juicy and delicate. Now I´m gonna wipe of the last traces of flour and get back to another cookie mission…;-)
Sweet delicacies may not melt ice but frosty thoughts!
- Preheat oven at 350°F and line cookie sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl knead flour, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, gingerbread spice, baking powder egg, egg yolk and ground pecans to a smooth dough.
- Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes.
- After refrigerating divide dough into 2 pieces.
- Roll out first piece of dough, on baking paper, to cookie pan size (11×14 inch) and place on cookie sheet.
- Roll out marzipan to the same size and place on top. Place marzipan between to layers of plastic wrap. This way rolling out the dough will be much easier.
- Now roll out the second piece of dough and transfer on top of the marzipan layer.
- Whisk together egg yolk and heavy cream and spread on top of cookie dough.
- Sprinkle with almonds flakes.
- Bake at 350°F for about 25-30 minutes.
- After baking cut the hot dough into small cubes and let cool down.
- Store in airtight cookie jar.